Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Edgar Allan Pie - The Tell-Tale Heart

True!-nervous-very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses-not destroyed-not dulled them. Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell. How, then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily-how calmly I can tell you the whole story.

This month Mary the Food Librarian, winner of last month's creative pie contest, chose the theme for You Want Pies With That? Mary, not afraid of being typecast, chose a literary theme to her pie contest.
I struggled with trying to make a pie out of Sherlock Holmes for a while.. Persian Slipper Pie? But couldn't put it together. Then it came to me, Edgar Allan Pie. The Tell-Tale Heart. Boom boom. Boom boom. Boom boom.

Edgar Allan Pie - The Tell-Tale Heart
6 mini pies
.
Crust - the dirt floor that houses the secret of the pie.
Line 6 small pie dishes with a chocolate cookie crust - 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 1/4 cup chocolate cookie crumbs and sugar to taste, pressed into the dishes and baked for ten minutes at 350f.
.
Filling - the dark cherry heart beneath the chocolate cream floorboards.
36 pitted black cherries, marinated in brandy and sugar for 1/2 hour.
.
Dark Chocolate Cream - the darkness - adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups milk (whole)
4 slightly beaten egg yolks
2 Tablespoons butter
3 one-oz squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:
Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk and add chopped chocolate. Cook and stir over medium high heat till bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add one cup of hot mixture into yolks slowly, whisking constantly; immediately return to hot mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. Pour into cooled baked pastry shells. Chill.
Assembly:
Place 6 large cherries in each crust. Cover with chocolate cream to the top of the dish (this will be easiest if cream is still warm)
Chill and top with whipped cream sweetened with a little cherry brandy and fruit sugar.

They heard!-they suspected!-they knew!-they were making a mockery of my horror!-this I thought, and this I think. But anything was better than this agony! Anything was more tolerable than this derision! I could bear those hypocritical smiles no longer! I felt that I must scream or die!-and now-again!-hark! louder! louder! louder! louder!--

Villains! Dissemble no more! I admit the deed!-tear up the planks!-here, here!-it is the beating of his hideous heart!