Thursday, February 5, 2009

Farmgirl Susan's Pizza a la Bianca

The first recipe to grace A Year in Bread for 2009 was this White Pizza with Swiss Chard and Artichokes from Farmgirl Susan of Farmgirl Fare. Now, I am a veteran pizza maker by necessity, with three teenagers in the house, but I am always interested in trying new flavours and techniques.


I loved the sophisticated yet rustic flavours of the green toppings on this pizza, and Susan's simple pizza dough was crisp and chewy like a baguette. I used a little more garlic and Worcestershire sauce on my pizza - as is my way - and was very pleased with the results. (The Worcestershire sauce is genius by the way, do not omit it.)


Hubby brought home the world's biggest bunch of Swiss chard from the grocery store - I weighed it in at over three pounds! Luckily they don't charge for it by weight, and hubby loves a good deal. I have recently learned that chard is in the beet family, so there is no getting away from my beet posts this month!


“You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.”
Yogi Berra


"There's a pizza place near where I live that sells only slices. In the back, you can see a guy tossing a triangle in the air.”
Steven Wright
~
This pizza has been Yeastspotted! Check out A Year in Bread and Wild Yeast for more breadie inspirations.