Tuesday, 10 February 2009

Tuesday is Just Peachy!

Yes, this is the day I generally extol the wonders of Tuesdays and a certain queen of desserts, but after a whole weekend of making chocolate cupcakes with my son, I wasn't really in the mood for more dessert. Forgive me?
What we did need was some easy-to-grab-and-eat breakfast treats for the commuters, so I made a big batch of peach muffins with peach cream cheese - all with Niagara peaches that I froze in the summer for just such an occasion. A little taste of the summer when the snow is still piled up out there, mocking me and my short-legged companions.

Spiced Peach Muffins, King Arthur Flour
"These muffins are big, high-crowned affairs that seem to explode right out of the muffin cup. We make them here with peaches, but they're also delightful made with blueberries, blackberries or raspberries." King Arthur Flour

4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups milk
4 peaches, diced (not peeled) or 3 cups small whole berries or other fruit, diced
sugar - for tops - I used turbinado
Combine flour, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir eggs, vegetable oil and milk together, add to dry ingredients, then gently stir in fruit. Grease 16 muffin cups, and heap batter into cups; they'll be very full. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until muffins test done. Makes 16 large muffins. (I got 24 medium ones - I was afraid to make the big topped ones as I can never get them to let go of the pans - for this reason I also always use muffin liners.)

Peach Cream Cheese
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese, room temperature
One peach, chopped
Zest of half a lemon
2 tbsp honey or to taste
Combine until smooth in a food processor, scraping down when necessary.
Chill.

Movin' to the country... gonna eat me a lot of peaches...
Oh yeah, these are spicy, light and yummy. A little bite of summer.



Do not let the ninjas get to the peaches!