Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Blueberry Crumb Cake

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Sihan of Befuddlement selected Blueberry Crumb Cake on pages 192-193 of Dorie Greenspan's ultimate baking book - Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Sihan's site for the recipe, today's date.

What can I say about this cake? I loved the crunchy topping of walnuts and brown sugar. Especially as it caramelizes around the edges of the pan. It went wonderfully with vanilla ice cream.
The only changes to the recipe that I made was to use the zest of the whole lemon. I am having the kind of week that is seeing me use up more zest than juice. Currently I have a little bag of naked lemons. I let them snuggle up to the other fruits to keep warm.


From WildBlueberries.com:
Wild Blueberries may be small but they pack a healthy punch! Sweet, tangy and intensely blue, Wild Blueberries are rich in phytonutrients — antioxidants such as anthocyanin, as well as anti-inflammatories. These natural substances, found in fruits and vegetables, are believed to protect against disease and promote healthy aging… and with their powerful natural antioxidant qualities, Wild Blueberries are at the top of the antioxidant “A-list”!

See! This cake is health food. Have two pieces and call me in the morning.


Did you know that blueberries are native only to North America?
My blueberries were my Nova Scotia wild blueberries from my (frozen) five pound box. It is almost finished now - but I do not regret using them for this recipe at all.
The wild blueberry is Nova Scotia's official provincial berry. Honestly. Who knew we had official berries? I wonder what the one for Ontario is..