Thursday, 19 March 2009

Brunch: Worth Getting up Late For

Blog Party #44 already? Where does the time go?
This month we are sleeping in and having brunch over at Stephanie's at Dispensing Happiness. All she asks is that we not come too early, we bring a drink and some nibblies, appropriate for the hour.
No problem Stephanie, can do! I whipped up some Banana-Pecan Honey Bread and hubby made some After Eight (am) Cappuccinos. Rise and shine Stephanie! Ooh, I brought some of my chocolates to share too, just 'cause I am feeling generous.

Banana Pecan Honey Bread - O, The Oprah Magazine
Makes 8 servings (16 slices)
2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 ripe bananas , mashed (1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 stick butter , softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment or waxed paper. Sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a small bowl, combine bananas, milk, honey, and vanilla. Set aside.
In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Reduce speed to low and alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat just until blended. In a small bowl, combine nuts with remaining one tablespoon flour and mix well; add to batter. Pour into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes*. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
Run a knife around inside rim of pan to remove bread, peel off paper from bottom, and cool completely on a wire rack.

*I made mini loaves - so mine took about 30 minutes.*
After Eight Cappuccinos
For each drink:
1/2 oz Creme de Cacao
1/2 oz Creme de Menthe
1 shot espresso
Frothed milk to top
Whipped cream to garnish
In tall coffee glass - add Creme de Cacao and Creme de Menthe.
Steam milk until hot and frothy.
Brew espresso and add to liquor in glass. Top with steamed milk and garnish with whipped cream if desired.
Serve hot.
Awww, who's a sleepy puppy?
I got to try out candies!
You know me, I love the opportunity to try new things. I especially love it when people write to me and ask if it would be ok to send me candy. Really.
They gift wrapped it and sent a card and everything.
Now if only Nordic Ware would write to me...
See's Candies was founded in 1921 and prides itself on hand packing over 100 varieties of chocolates and candies. Click on the link for more information.
What are my favourites? I like the toffee, caramel and brittles. Yum.

Here is a video of Ellen at See's Candies on Valentines Day. That lady has way too much fun!