Tuesday, 3 March 2009

Chocolate Armagnac Cake

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Lyb of And then I do the dishes chose Chocolate Armagnac Cake - The Cake That Got Me Fired on pages 279-281 of Dorie Greenspan's ultimate home baking book - Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Lyb's site for the recipe, today's date.

Now, I know that it is not a popular stance, but I am not a chocolate lover. I don't dislike it, but there is only so much I can eat of it and generally prefer other flavours.
But something told me that I would like this, even though it has nine ounces of chocolate in it. Maybe it had something to do with the prunes..

Oh yeah, I got to set prunes on fire for this cake. That is some good entertainment. Puppies gathered around while I hooted with joy at the blue tongues of fire licking the sides of my saucepan. I don't have Armagnac at home so I used Napoleon Brandy, which I am pretty sure I have only used for fire-setting purposes, I have no recollection of actually ever drinking the stuff.
Which is not to say that if you offer me some I will light it ablaze. Well, probably not. Best just offer me a glass of wine instead, just to be on the safe side.

Doesn't it just look delicious? I made little cocoa and cinnamon stencils on the plates (for Michelle!) and served it with vanilla bean whipped cream. This one is definitely in my top five Dorie recipes. A very grown up chocolate cake, perfect for guests.