Tuesday, 31 March 2009

Coconut Butter Thins

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Jayne of The Barefoot Kitchen Witch selected Coconut Butter Thins on page 145 of Dorie Greenspan's epic tome - Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Jayne's site for the recipe, today's date.

This was certainly an interesting cookie to make. It has the texture of a shortbread with the chewiness of an oatmeal cookie. (sans oatmeal) The addition of sweetened shredded coconut and lime zest give it a slight tropical feel.

The dough gets made up and rolled out in a one gallon sized freezer bag and then refrigerated. Hopefully in a flat position. Flat positions are not to be had in my fridge - one has to straddle over milk, leftovers, assorted produce that does not fit in the bins.... Needless to say, my dough was less than flat when I finally had to cut it for baking. No mind - the cook gets to eat the funny looking ones.
Speaking of funny looking.. I forgot to dock the dough with a fork. I don't seem to be any worse off for it, they didn't rise or anything, so I won't punish myself too harshly.

So, how did they taste? Actually, these are my favourite of Dorie's butter/shortbread type cookies so far. I like the chewiness of them. I think I will add cardamom next time.