Tuesday, 17 March 2009

A Garden Basket of French Yogurt Cakes

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction chose French Yogurt Cake with Marmalade Glaze on pages 224-225 of Dorie Greenspan's wonderful home baking book, Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Liliana's site for the recipe, today's date.

Even though it is still March, and the magazines like to remind us that some of Canada's worst snowfalls have taken place in April, I am thinking Spring. Flowers and fruit, bright colours and sunshine.. bring it on!

These yogurt cakes fit right in with my favourite flavours and textures. I love a good pound cake, and this one is lighter than usual, with a subtle tang from the yogurt and a lovely lemony flavour.

The nice thing about pound cake is that is soaks up great flavour. I love that this glaze is made with marmalade, something different for me. I am used to using apricot preserves or a sugar/juice syrup, or even alcohol, but never marmalade.
I wasn't able to find the lemon marmalade as listed in the recipe, the closest I could find was a three citrus marmalade, so my glaze has lemon, grapefruit and orange on it. Yummy!

But the most important thing about pound cakes is that they are perfect for my Nordic Ware pans! Sigh, was there ever a more wonderful pan?