This month's YWPWT theme is Herbs and Spices, and I am entering just under the wire. I figure I had better participate, as I was *ahem* one of last month's winners! Most Creative Tart, as it were, along with Jacque of Daisy Lane Cakes.
I have a good? bad? habit of picking up all new spices that I come across. So when I started thinking about this herb and spice theme, um, this morning, I decided to work in one of my newer spices, lemongrass powder. It is a strong scent, a little goes a long way, but it definitely has a Thai/Tropical essence to it. Just the thing to transport me from this Canadian winter to sunnier climes, care to join me?
2. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and lemongrass powder.
3. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
4. Remove from heat. Slightly beat eggs with a fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the filling into the eggs. Pour the egg mixture back into hot filling in saucepan. Bring to gentle boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in vanilla and coconut. Let cool slightly for about 2 minutes.
6. Place drained banana slices in the bottom of the pie crust, top with the warm filling. Cool and refrigerate 3-6 hours.
7. Whip cream, seasoning to taste with sugar and vanilla. Pipe cream onto pie and garnish with lime zest and turbinado sugar.
If you call me in the morning....