Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Wish I Was On a Tropical Island Pie

You Want Pies With That?
This month's YWPWT theme is Herbs and Spices, and I am entering just under the wire. I figure I had better participate, as I was *ahem* one of last month's winners! Most Creative Tart, as it were, along with Jacque of Daisy Lane Cakes.
I have a good? bad? habit of picking up all new spices that I come across. So when I started thinking about this herb and spice theme, um, this morning, I decided to work in one of my newer spices, lemongrass powder. It is a strong scent, a little goes a long way, but it definitely has a Thai/Tropical essence to it. Just the thing to transport me from this Canadian winter to sunnier climes, care to join me?


I Wish I Was On a Tropical Island Pie - adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book
.
Ingredients:
I pie shell, baked - I used Dorie Greenspan's Good for Almost Anything Pie Crust
2 bananas, sliced
Juice of half a lime
4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp lemongrass powder
3 cups milk
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp vanilla
.
Topping:
Whipping cream
Fruit sugar or superfine sugar
Vanilla
Turbinado sugar, for garnish
Lime zest, for garnish

1. Slice bananas and let sit in lime juice while you make the cream pie base.

2. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and lemongrass powder.

3. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.

4. Remove from heat. Slightly beat eggs with a fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the filling into the eggs. Pour the egg mixture back into hot filling in saucepan. Bring to gentle boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.

5. Stir in vanilla and coconut. Let cool slightly for about 2 minutes.

6. Place drained banana slices in the bottom of the pie crust, top with the warm filling. Cool and refrigerate 3-6 hours.

7. Whip cream, seasoning to taste with sugar and vanilla. Pipe cream onto pie and garnish with lime zest and turbinado sugar.

Is it getting hot in here? I feel a sudden urge to make a bra out of a coconut. Please pass me my grass skirt.

Watch out for that extremely aggressive looking branch, Kermit!




If you call me in the morning....