Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Lemon Custard Bunny Love

Tuesday is the sweetest day.
~
This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Bridget of The Way the Cookie Crumbles chose Lemon Cup Custard on page 387 of Dorie Greenspan's ultimate home baking book - Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Bridget's site for the Lemon Cup Custard recipe, today's date.


Lemon is one of my favourite flavours, I liked making these custards. I felt like a Food Network maven baking them in the oven with the hot water bath, making a nice vanilla whipped cream to pipe over them after they had chilled. I even made some crisp little cookies to go with them for texture.
I stuck the cookies into the custard in twos, prompting hubby to remark on how cute my little bunnies were. Bunnies! Well, I guess they do sort of look like bunnies, and I did pick out Spring colours for my presentation. And who doesn't love a bunny? After all, it's not like he called them badgers or weasels.
I really liked this recipe, custard has a more eggy flavour than pudding but they were light and airy and delicious. I especially liked having the cream and cookies to complement the texture of the custard.
I would definitely make these again, and look forward to trying some of the other flavours that Dorie suggested. I printed the cookie recipe that I used, Langues-de-Chat, below.

Langues-de-Chat, Martha Stewart Cookies
Ingredients:
2/3 cup plus 1 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
7 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
2 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract


1. Preheat oven to 375f. Sift flour and salt into a bowl.

2. Put butter into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and creamy. Mix in confectioners' sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. Fold in flour mixture.

3. Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 3/8 inch plain round tip (such as Ateco #802). Pipe 2 3/4 inch lengths about 3/8 inch wide (the ends should be slightly wider that the center) onto baking sheets lined with parchment or silpat, spacing about 1 inch apart. (Batter should be refrigerated if not being used right away.)

4. Bake until just golden around edges, 10-12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool on sheets 3 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

Ok, are these not the cutest bunnies that you have ever seen? I found this picture on Google Images as I was looking for a cute bunny pic for my post. How perfect is it that they are in teacups!! I just want to kiss their fuzzy little heads.

Bunny picture source unknown