Sunday, 8 March 2009

Spanish Rice Pudding with Almonds

Where does the weekend go? I don't know if it is having people at home, or all the chores we try to clear up - but all my best laid plans for cooking fall by the wayside on the weekend.
This weekend I had a Spanish dinner planned for My Kitchen, My World as well as hopes of making a nice dessert for Magazine Mondays. Two cooking groups organized by some of my favourite foodie friends. Two cooking groups that I have been sadly remiss in participation.
I blame the weekend. I really should never count on getting anything done on a Saturday or Sunday. Clearly it is just too much to ask of myself.
As a saving grace, while chomping on a sausage in a bun that hubby kindly BBQed for us, I happened upon a recipe for Spanish Rice Pudding. In a magazine! Clearly this was a sign. Was it not just a short time ago when hubby was alarmed by the rare lack of desserts to be found in my kitchen?
So, puppies in tow, I made Spanish Rice Pudding. Not a difficult recipe, but one that requires vigilance. So pull up a stool and sit by the stove with medicated pug in one arm while you stir the rice pudding with the other. Sing Hush Little Baby while she falls asleep and try not to dwell on the fact that you are a much better parent to your dogs than you ever were to your children.

Spanish Rice Pudding - Gourmet Magazine, Feb 2009
Serves 4
1 cup water
1/2 cup long-grain white rice
4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 (4-inch) strips lemon zest
1 (3-to 4-inch) cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Garnish: ground cinnamon (I added toasted whole almonds, smashed)

Bring water to a boil with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large heavy saucepan. Stir in rice and return to a boil. Cook, covered, over low heat until water is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
Stir in milk, sugar, zest, and cinnamon stick and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until thickened and rice is tender, 40 minutes to 1 hour. Stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm in a large shallow bowl, surface covered with a piece of buttered wax paper.
~
This was a really tasty rice pudding, and fairly healthy as it is milk based, not egg or cream. I think it will also make for an excellent breakfast!

I garnished mine with some whole almonds, skin on, that I toasted in the toaster oven and then bashed in a towel with a meat mallet. So much fun.

Sleepy

Sleepier

Zzzzzzzzz
~
Hush little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird.
And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.
And if that diamond ring turns to brass,
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass.
And if that looking glass gets broke,
Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat.
And if that billy goat won't pull,
Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull.
And if that cart and bull turn over,
Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.
And if that dog named Rover won't bark,
Mama's gonna buy you a horse and cart.
And if that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town!