Tuesday, 14 April 2009

Dorie Tricked Me

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Holly of Phe/MOM/enon chose 15 Minute Magic: Chocolate Amaretti Torte. The recipe can be found on Holly's site, today's date, and pages 276 and 277 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: from my home to yours.

This is where Dorie tricked me, or else this is where it is revealed that I am incapable of paying attention. In my wishful-thinking mind, this cake took only 15 minutes to make. This was a good thing as the grocery stores were closed on Sunday and I had to pick up my amaretti biscuits on Monday night, tonight.

Well, I started after dinner. (We eat late) And we were taking pictures just before midnight. Yup. This is called 15 minute magic because it takes 15 minutes to get the batter into the pan. I don't know of any cake that takes more than 15 minutes to get the batter into the pan, but who am I to argue?
My daughter thought it might be called 15 minute magic because that is how long it takes to eat it. Her comparison being 2 bite brownies which take her 4 bites to eat. I pointed out that that might be too subjective as her father eats them in one bite. Hmmm.

I halved the recipe and made two 4 inch mini hearts in my little springform pans. I loved the crunch of the amaretti and almonds in the batter and on top of the cakelettes. My ganache was rather thin, but I think it's whole purpose was to hold the cookie crumbs on anyway.
I really liked this cake. It is moist and decadent with great texture. Dorie is forgiven, all is well.