Tuesday, 7 April 2009

Dorie's Banana Cream Pie

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Amy of Sing for Your Supper chose Banana Cream Pie, pages 342 and 343 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Amy's site for the recipe, today's date.
Banana cream pie is one of hubby's absolute faves, so I did make the entire recipe. He came home from work and ate one quarter of it - a very positive review. We did both agree that we like my own version better, in which I toss the bananas in a little lime or lemon juice first - to brighten up the flavour.
This one had cinnamon in it, which I found made it seem a little heavier. I think I prefer it without the cinnamon, but it is just a matter of personal taste.


I did have one problem with this pie. Or the crust to be exact. It tasted wonderful, was light and flaky.... but I had shrinkage. Do men know about shrinkage?


Not that kind of shrinkage, pie crust shrinkage. I fall victim to it again and again. Sigh.

Otherwise the taste was very good, and the pie was well received. What more could a gal ask for? Ok, besides an end to shrinkage.

Hard to take a picture of a soft pie, but here it is!
I liked the fact that there were layers of the pastry cream and the bananas. I will take that with me from this recipe.