Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Four Star Chocolate Bread Pudding

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Lauren of Upper East Side Chronicle chose Four Star Chocolate Bread Pudding, on pages 410 and 411 of Dorie Greenspan's wonderful baking book - Baking, from my home to yours. Please see Lauren's site for the recipe, or pick up the book for Mother's day!

This was the first time I had even tasted a bread pudding, never mind eating one. It also marks one of the few times I was clever enough to plan ahead. When I made the challah last week, I went ahead and froze what I needed for this recipe.
I made a half batch, with the challah, raisins and chocolaty custard and baked until the top was just firm.

We ate it the next day for dessert, as Dorie says it is good cold. I just served it with a simple vanilla whipped cream and it was quite nice. I am glad I made it and I did like it, but it is not going to be one of my favourite types of dessert.
I could really understand from eating it that the success totally depends on the quality of the bread. The flavour of the challah was very noticeable and quite nice.
And the leftovers? Made for a pretty good breakfast. Well it is eggs and bread!
Bite?