Monday, 13 April 2009

Scallops With Parmesan Crust for the BBQ

This weekend, we treated ourselves to some fun and special foods. Why not? It was a holiday.
We found some sea scallops at a local market and decided to barbecue them, using the new (second hand) barbecue book that I picked up for hubby. See what a good wife I am?
Ok, so maybe the book is from Rob Rainford's BBQ cooking show, and maybe I have a bit of a crush on Rob.. and maybe I watch it intensely and don't even barbecue...
The book and show are still filled with good stuff and great recipes, and if I happen to occasionally think of Rob.. hubby has long gotten used to my little crushes.
It had been about twenty five years since I last had scallops and the texture and flavour of these were amazing. So delicate, I just made a big salad to lay the skewers down on and let them be the star. What a great way to kick off barbecue season. Right honey?

Robert Rainford, Licence to Grill
~
My man Robbie, just glancing over to see if I need anything, another drink.. a hug.. maybe a shoulder massage. He's a gentleman that way, always looking out for me.

Scallops With Parmesan Crust
Licence to Grill, Food Network Canada
More Grilled to Perfection, Chris Knight

Ingredients:
Scallops
1 1/2 lb. of sea scallops
3 tbsp of melted butter (45ml)
8 x wooden skewers
Coating
1/2 cup melba toast crumbs, finely crushed (125ml) (we used panko)
5 tbsp of parmesan cheese, grated (45ml)
1 tbsp of parsley, chopped (15ml)
Paprika to taste
Directions:
Scallops
In a sealable bag, add all coating ingredients and shake well. Brush the scallops with melted butter and toss into baggie. Marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.
Soak wooden skewers in cool water for one hour.
Preheat grill to 400ºF.
Skewer scallops through center of meat.
With a well oiled cloth, wipe grill down to ensure that scallops don’t stick. Place scallops onto grill and cook for 2 minutes per side. Be careful not to overcook them.