Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Steak Diane Flambé

This month on Recipes to Rival, Temperance of High on the Hog and Shawnee of Delishes Delishes chose to set fire to steak. Since my days of cooking French food with Whisk Wednesdays, I have set fire to many a dish and am starting to feel like an old hand at it. I do like the flavour it imparts on food, and of course the drama of the flames. That being said, it can be dangerous and proper precautions must be taken.
I served the steak with garlic mashies and a spinach salad - nice!

Steak Diane Flambé
.
Ingredients
.
For the steaks
4x85g beef medallions (I used strip loin, cut in half)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
freshly ground salt and pepper
.
For the sauce
1 tsp Butter, clarified
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Shallots, finely chopped
50g button mushrooms, finely sliced (I used more)
1 tbsp lemon juice
125ml double cream
1 tbsp Chives, snipped (I used green onion)
50ml Brandy

Method
1. Rub the medallions of beef with the mustard, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
.
2. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and when hot, add the clarified butter and Worcestershire sauce.
.
3. Add the shallots and mushrooms, and push to the centre of the pan. Arrange the medallions around the edge. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring and tossing the mushroom mixture as you go. If you prefer your steak well done, give it an extra minute or 2.
.
4. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
.
5. Turn the steaks over and pour in the cream and chives. Tilt the pan slightly (away from you) and pour in the brandy at the far end. Now turn up the heat to high so that the brandy ignites. Swirl the sauce around in the pan and turn off the heat.
.
6. Put the medallions on 4 plates, pour over the sauce and serve.
.
Disclaimer:
We do not require that you flambé, if you choose to flambé and burn down your kitchen, don't sue us. If you choose to flambé try and get a picture (I recommend getting someone to help). Remember when playing with fire keep a fire extinguisher close and never use water on a cooking fire.
.
Here are some links to help, an Online conversion calculator , and a guide to flambéing.
My notes/changes:
I increased the cooking time on the steaks, two minutes will leave them quite rare.
We used a cast iron pan for the flambéing, as it is great for holding on to the heat. I took the steaks out when they were done and tented them to rest while I reduced the sauce.
Next time I would probably add the cream after flambéing the steak.