Sunday, 19 April 2009

Sunday Special #3. Soup, Breadsticks and Dessert

Is it Sunday already? My how time flies when you are eating well!
This week's Sunday Special consists of Dilled Potato Soup, Chunky Seasoned Breadsticks, and Caramel Apple Turnovers - now doesn't that sound good?
For the breadsticks, I just used the white bread with wheat bran dough from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I rolled out the breadsticks like mini-baguettes, twisted them, let them rise 20 minutes, brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled them with Herbes de Provence sea salt and baked them until golden. Who needs store-bought? They are perfect for dipping. I ate two. Hubby could only eat one, but I didn't eat his other one.. until the next morning. Did I mention that I love bread?

Dilled Potato Soup for Souper Sundays
This is a creamy and satisfying soup, very tasty indeed!

2 tbsp. butter
1 lg. onion, chopped
4 c. raw potatoes, cubed 1/4"
1 c. light cream or milk (I just used a splash of heavy cream)
1 lg. carrot, chopped
4 c. chicken broth
2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill (I used about twice that amount)
1 (16 oz.) can whole kernel corn (I used petit pois)
Optional: 1 c. grated Cheddar cheese (I used sour cream)

Directions: (My way)
Melt butter in large pan. Add onion, potato and carrot. Cover and cook over very low heat 5-10 minutes. Add broth, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Blend with immersion blender.
Return puree to reserve mixture in pan and stir in cream. Add peas; return to heat if necessary. Do not boil. Serve garnished with sour cream.

And for dessert for Sweet Melissa Sundays, we had Caramel Apple Turnovers with Sweet Ricotta Filling from p. 25 of the Sweet Melissa Baking Book. Click here for the recipe.
They were fairly easy to put together, carmelize the apples, make the ricotta filling, stuff, seal and bake. They were to bake for 45 minutes and, at the last minute, I set my second timer for 35 - just in case. I am glad I did, they were rather dark even then. So, the colour is not great on them, and I flaked off the really dark parts, but the taste was lovely. I am a big fan of apple turnovers. Next time I might set the timer for 25 minutes, just in case.

The only changes I made to the recipe was to use yogurt cheese instead of ricotta, and turbinado sugar instead of plain white sugar. What's a turnover without the crunchy sugar? I am enjoying working through this book. Next week: Granola Breakfast Cookies.