Friday, 24 April 2009

Tyler's Pappardelle Bolognese

Ok, I realize that this is the second time I have made bolognese in one month's time. (A certain Daring Bakers lasagne comes to mind..) But I swear, this recipe is either a lot easier or I am just getting better at it. All you really need on your side is time. The fresh pasta? Get yours from the deli department if you wish, I just like to make it myself when I can.
This one is a definite man pleaser, richly flavoured and meaty, with wide, fresh noodles to satisfy even the biggest of appetites.
To up the vegetable content, I added some sauteed zucchini and a salad of mixed greens tossed in a light vinaigrette. Buon Appetito!

I rarely have making-of shots, but hubby was hanging out in the kitchen with me so he took a couple of shots of dinner-in-action.

Pappardelle Bolognese
Tyler Florence, Eat This Book

Ingredients:
Olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground veal (I used all beef)
1 pound ground beef
1 cup dry white wine
2-28oz. cans whole tomatoes, drained and crushed by hand
4 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper
1 cup milk

1 large spoonful of ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese
Fresh herbs, such as oregano or basil

Directions:
In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, heat a 2-count of oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are very tender but not browned.

Raise the heat a bit. Break the ground beef and veal into chunks and add them to the pan. Brown, breaking up the clumps with a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pink. Add the wine and simmer until evaporated. Then add the tomatoes and stock and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer very slowly for 1.5-2 hours, stirring now and then, until the sauce is very thick. Now add the milk - the milk will make the meat nice and tender - and simmer again until thickened, another 20-30 minutes. Taste again for salt and pepper. Mash the sauce against the side of the pan to really blend it. Set half aside for another day. (I froze mine)
When your pasta is ready, add ricotta and Parmesan to the sauce and serve either tossed with pasta or on top. (I like mine tossed) A little pasta water can be added if you need more liquid.
Serve with more Parmesan on top and torn fresh herbs. Delish!

My pasta bike - what a great tool! Here I have removed every other wheel to make large strips of pasta.

I use a KitchenAid pasta roller set for my pasta. It is by far my favourite KA attachment.

And this handy-dandy pasta drying rack? Hubby made it. What a great guy.
In these photos I have the dowels in every other hole, it can actually hold quite a bit of pasta. It also fold up for storage. Nice!

Mother's little helper. If you are going to spend four hours making a fabulous Italian meal from scratch, you are going to need a lot of red wine.

My go-to pasta recipe lately has been from Giada De Laurentiis. I don't even need to look at the recipe anymore, it is blissfully easy.

Just put 3 cups of all purpose flour into a large food processor.
In a smaller bowl, lightly whisk 4 eggs with one tbsp each salt and olive oil.
Blend until it starts to come together - it will not form a ball.
Pull it out of the food processor, knead it into a ball by hand, wrap in plastic and let rest for a half hour.
Cut into 8 pcs. and roll with pasta roller. Easy peasy.
I like to add herbs to it - this time I used about 1 heaping tbsp dried basil.

To go with the pasta, I just sauteed some zucchini medallions and made a simple mixed green salad with a light vinaigrette.

Choose, cook, share.
Round-up every Friday, check out the Tyler Florence Fridays site for details