Saturday, 23 May 2009

The Artos that Ate Ontario

This is the second loaf of bread baked for the Bread Baker's Apprentice worldwide baking group. This week we crafted the Artos/Greek Celebration Breads on pp. 111-114.
I chose to make the more decorative Christopsomos, which is supposed to be a representation of the cross, although some have likened it to an octopus and I myself think it looks like a giant tarantula. Either way it is quite delicious; with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, orange zest honey and almond extract. The little legs are fun to pull off and eat with your hands and the sticky glaze makes it sparkle.

I used about 1/3 whole wheat flour, primarily in the poolish, which I let ferment for three days to soften. This may have led to how huge it grew, because baby did it grow!

Next week: Bagels!