Saturday, 9 May 2009

Easy Black Bean Soup, and, Because You Have Been Very Good.. Mango Margaritas!

If at first you don't succeed...
I made black bean soup twice today. The first time I made it with dried beans that I managed to let overcook... and adhere to my pot. This is what I get for using a Williams Sonoma recipe instead of common sense! Who simmers for 2 to 4 hours on medium anyway? They were dry and gone in less than one hour. (An hour that I may or may not have spent twittering..)

Now, with less time to spare, I made a second soup with canned black beans. Great to have around in case of emergencies like this. The soup came together quickly and easily and no one was the wiser. Ok, except for you, but you'd never tell.. would you?

To congratulate myself on this beautiful, tasty, and easy soup that I made for Souper Sunday, I also made a nice mango margarita. Actually I made two, but I drank them both in one giant glass so it still counts as one, right?

My Kitchen My World travelled to Mexico this weekend, and I was not coming back without some tequila!

Easy Peasy Black Bean Soup for Two

Olive oil
1/2 small onion, sliced
2 tbsp garlic, chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup leftover cooked brown rice
1 can black beans (14 - 19oz) rinsed
Pinch espazote (optional)
1 chipotle pepper, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime

Garnish
Sour cream or yogurt
Lime wheels
Chopped tomatoes
Avocado (I didn't have any, but it would be good!)
Cilantro

In a small to medium pot, heat up a splash of olive oil. Add onions and saute until starting to soften. Add garlic and tomato, stir, add chicken broth and let come to a low boil. Turn heat to low simmer and add cooked rice, black beans, espazote, and chipotle pepper. Let cook gently until flavours meld, about 20 minutes. Blend. Season with lime and salt and pepper, if needed, to taste.
Serve with garnishes of your choice.


Frozen Mango Margarita
2 cups frozen mango pieces
3 oz tequila blanco
Juice of 1 lime
Simple syrup or agave nectar to taste

Blend all together in a blender until smooth. Garnish with lime wheel.
Makes two polite sized drinks.. or one me-sized drink.

But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on..
Salud!