Friday, 22 May 2009

Tyler's Lemon Curry Chicken with Mango Basmati Rice

What a simple and flavourful dish this was. The taste is unique; lemon, curry powder and toasted sesame seed oil, blending a few cultures together; and the yogurt tenderizes the chicken while amplifying the other flavours. I don't know why, but it just works. The high colour of the chicken is because of the liberal amount of turmeric in my particular curry powder; turmeric is the spice that gives ballpark mustard it's brilliant yellow colouring.
I chose to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, as I was making the dinner for my daughter, who, although mostly vegetarian, likes to sometimes eat chicken as long as there are no reminders of the animal it came from. Thus no bones, fat or skin for her!

Lemon Curry Chicken
Tyler Florence, Tyler's Ultimate

1 (31/2-4lb) chicken, cut into 10 pieces (I used 4 large chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness)
2 cups plain yogurt
2 tbsp curry powder
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 400F. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels.
Stir together the yogurt, curry powder, lemon zest and juice, sesame oil, and salt and pepper in a big bowl. Add the chicken and toss gently to coat with the yogurt marinade.
Put the chicken on a baking sheet and roast, using the remaining marinade to baste twice as it cooks, until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 45 minutes total.
(I marinated the chicken in the yogurt dressing for 1/2 hour in a lasagna dish, then baked at 400 in the same dish until cooked through)
Mound the rice salad on a platter. Arrange the chicken on top.
For the rice, I took a look at Tyler's recipe and freely adapted it to my rice cooker. I cooked 1.5 cups of rice with 3 cups of water, a little leftover seasoned butter and a little salt until done. In the meantime, I got together a bowl of things to add to it. A couple of handfuls of frozen peas, 1 diced mango, a generous handful of cashews, the juice of one orange, freshly grated ginger, 2 green onions, sliced and salt and pepper. When the rice switched to warm, I let it sit for about
1o minutes and then added the rest of the ingredients. Stir and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Voila! Easy peasy. I love my rice cooker.

I garnished the platter with fresh cut chives and fresh mint from the garden.


Join us for Tyler Florence Fridays!
Choose, cook, share.
Round-up every Friday, check out the Tyler Florence Fridays site for details.