Saturday, 13 June 2009

Casatiello, Bread for Angels and Demon Hunters.

The fourth bread from The Bread Baker's Apprentice is the Casatiello, a rich dough studded with salami and cheese. Leave it to the Italians to bring French brioche to this lofty height. You don't even need to put anything on it! Oh, but I did. Tonight I had a BLT, on bread with salami in it. I was in cured meat heaven.
Speaking of heaven....
Did anyone else think of this guy when they read Casatiello? Or was it just me? Castiel is the new, brooding angel in Supernatural (Cas to the uber-cool demon hunters) who broods even more than these guys..

Yup, fighting off the apocalypse can make you moody. But cool.

So in honour of this, of Castiel the brooding angel, I baked it in my angel food cake pan. I was going with a theme...
I made it with 50% whole wheat flour and it turned out light and airy and delicious. Click here for the recipe on Google Books. Or, do yourself a favour and buy the book - it's great!

Baking through The Bread Baker's Apprentice.. one loaf at a time.