Thursday, 25 June 2009

Gazpacho... because it's hot out.

Summer has finally hit hard here. I swear I was wearing a jacket a week ago, but now we are having extreme heat alerts and being asked to check on our neighbours. So of course this is the day we decided to do some yard work. Well, I weeded a bit and went back in. Hubs installed 9 2x2 patio stones that we had unearthed while building the deck a couple of years ago. By the end of the day I had a little patio section in the lawn for our table and one hot and dehydrated hubby. Gazpacho seemed like the perfect dinner, and Ina's recipe looked like a great jumping off point. I made several changes to the recipe to suit my own taste and cravings, and it came out delicious. Very refreshing indeed. Now, what to do today?

Gazpacho
Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Ingredients
1 hothouse cucumber, halved, but not peeled
1 jarred roasted red pepper
The smaller, inside stalks of celery
2 tomatoes
2 shallots
1 jalapeno, seeded
3 garlic cloves, minced
Handful of cilantro - Ina, I know you hate cilantro but I love it.
23 ounces vegetable juice (3 cups)
Splash of white wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Roughly chop the vegetables. Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess!
After each vegetable is processed, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. The longer gazpacho sits, the more the flavors develop.


As I have a very large food processor, I was able to do it all in one batch. I put the firmer veggies in first, pulsed a few times, added the tender ones, pulsed again, and then added the liquids and seasonings and pulsed again. It came out beautifully.

More soup for Souper Sunday!