Tuesday, 7 July 2009

Cinnamon Buns - Granolacized

I am the one who craves cinnamon buns in our family. I don't even really have a sweet tooth (unless you count ice cream..) but there is something about the pillowy bread and intoxicating scent of freshly baked cinnamon that is so inviting.
In an attempt to make my cinnamon buns a little less sinful (cinful?), I omitted the icing or glaze, cut down on the sugar in the filling and added pecans, cashews, flax seeds, raisins, dried apricots and craisins in the filling. I topped the buns with quick cooking rolled oats and baked them off according to the directions.
These are perfect for breakie, with some fresh fruit and a big ole pot of black coffee.

We have gotten into the sweeter breads of Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, click here for the original recipe on Google Books or do yourself a favour and pick up the book.

Mmm, granola-y goodness.
I have a couple of angels on my shoulder who remind me to make my meals and snacks more healthy, and a few hundred devils on the other shoulder reminding me what treats the world has to offer. I think I have appeased them both today.