Friday, August 14, 2009

King Arthur Flour's Fast Food Fix: Gorditas!

There is a certain triumph to making fast food at home. Ok, it might not be so very fast - but chances are it tastes a heck of a lot better and is far healthier than the drive-through alternative. Plus, you get bragging rights. Who doesn't love bragging rights?

My friend and fellow Bread Baking Babe, Tanna of My Kitchen in Half Cups, emailed me a little while back to point out this particularly delicious looking recipe on King Arthur Flour's blog, Baker's Banter. The homemade Taco Bell Gordita.
I have actually never been to a Taco Bell. There are some here in Canada, and I have been to McDonald's and KFC more times than I can count (I do have children..), but otherwise I haven't frequented a lot of fast food establishments. The pictures on the King Arthur Flour looked good though, real good.
Faster than you can say "Supersize Me", I announced that I too was going to make this dish with it's grilled chicken, Caesar dressing, and soft, pillowy wrap.

The dough for the wraps is soft and supple with the addition of potato flour. The whole sandwich is absolutely delicious. I wish I had one right about now... I would eat it for breakfast.
Click here for the recipe and step by step instructions. You won't be sorry!