Thursday, 13 August 2009

Tyler's Coconut Shrimp with Basmati Rice, Apricots, and Lime

I am a big fan of the Asian style rice bowl or noodle bowl. Everything in one neat little vessel, highly fragrant and delicious.
This week for Tyler Florence Fridays, I made his Coconut Shrimp with Basmati Rice, Apricots, and Lime - amped up, of course!
I added frozen chopped spinach, garlic, fresh peas, and chopped garden peppers to the sauce to make this meal fully balanced. Less to cook if everything you need is in one dish!
I peeled and chopped the ginger, I love it way too much to waste any.
Even though I only made half a batch, I used all of the seasonings. I love intense flavour. This dish was perfectly delicious. I am sad to say that I don't have any left.

Coconut Shrimp with Basmati Rice, Apricots, and Lime
Tyler Florence, Tyler's Ultimate
Serves 4

Coconut Sauce
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, unpeeled and smashed with the side of a large knife
2 Thai chiles, chopped
2 lemongrass stalks, white parts only, chopped into small pieces
4 shallots, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp sugar
1 quart coconut milk
2 kafir lime leaves, or one lime, halved

1 cup basmati rice
1.5 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup dried apricots, halved (I quartered mine)
3 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
Handful of arugula leaves (I had no arugula)

1.5 lbs medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 small can straw mushrooms, drained (I omitted these)
4 fresh Thai basil sprigs for garnish
1/4 cup salted, roasted peanuts for garnish (I used cashews)
1 lime, quartered, for garnish

First get the sauce going: Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the ginger, chiles, lemongrass, and shallots and cook until the shallots are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste, sugar, coconut milk, and lime leaves and give it a stir. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 25 minute, until the sauce is reduced by about one third and thickened.

While that's cooking, jump to the rice. Combine the rice, salt, and 2 cups of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in the apricots, scallions and arugula.

To finish, add the shrimp to the pot with the sauce and simmer gently just to cook through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the straw mushrooms and stir. Spoon the rice into the bottom of 4 bowls. Spoon the shrimp over along with the sauce and garnish each bowl with basil, peanuts and a wedge of lime. (I also added some freshly squeezed lime juice to the sauce at the very end)

Join us for Tyler Florence Fridays!
Choose, cook, share.Round-up every Friday, check out the Tyler Florence Fridays site for details.