Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nigella's Trashy Watermelon Daiquiris

I love to read Nigella Lawson's cookbooks. She writes like she speaks and you can hear the singsong cadence of her voice in every paragraph. The books can definitely be read like novels, and I am thrilled that Nigella was voted to be the first cook that we feature in our new cooking group, I Heart Cooking Clubs.
The theme of our first week is Party Treats, I decided to bring on the booze. And there is some serious booze in these cocktails. No wonder Nigella always looks so happy.
Why do I refer to them as trashy? They are in the Trashy chapter of the cookbook, I kid you not. Anyway, they are tasty and pack a punch. What else could you ask for?
Watermelon Daiquiri
Nigella Lawson, Nigella Bites
The trashy cook should not be stoveside too long without a drink in hand. And preferably this drink. You don't have to go overboard with the postmodern, anxiously ironic bit: this is ambrosia for even the good-taste gods.
But if on the other hand you're concerned that commendation might detract from its vulgar charm, just make it and drink it, wearing mules to match.
The watermelon doesn't come frozen, by the way, engaging thought though that is: just buy it, slice it, chunk it, stuff it into suitable bags and stash them vibrantly in the freezer.

Per Drink:
100 ml (or to taste) white rum - Nigella lists Bacardi. I used the gigantic jug of Havana that my daughter brought back from Cuba for me. By the way, this is an enormous amount of rum!
1 heaped tablespoon icing sugar
approx. 10 x 5cm cubes of frozen watermelon
Put all the above ingredients in a blender and blitz to a pinkly foamy puree. Pour into two waiting marguerita glasses - and tip back, bangles jangling.
Nigella
Remember the rules here at Casa des Puppies. No driving, not even after one drink.

It is perfectly acceptable, however, to dance barefoot in your backyard and sing Peggy Lee's Is That All There Is. Not that I do that...