Friday, 18 September 2009

Steak, Chimichurri, Salsa, and a Frog

This week for Tyler Florence Fridays, I made his Argentinian Gaucho Steak with Chimichurri Sauce and Salsa Criolla. His recipe calls for skirt steak, which is grilled and then sliced thinly and fanned out for presentation. I found a couple of rib steaks on sale and used them, leaving them intact. The steak is also served with grilled red peppers and rustic bread. The whole meal was delicious, and I served it on a bed of greens to absorb the wonderful juices and sauce. For me, the star of the dish was the chimichurri sauce. I don't think I have had one before and we just loved it. Definitely worth having on hand in the fridge, I imagine it would go great with any number of grilled meats and veggies.
The meat, peppers and bread were just drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper before grilling to taste.
Chimichurri Sauce
Tyler Florence, Eat This Book

6 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt
1 jalapeno, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 handfuls of fresh oregano, finely chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp crushed black peppercorns

Combine the garlic and the salt on a cutting board and grind together to a paste with the back of a chef's knife. Put the paste into a bowl and stir in the jalapeno, vinegar, parsley, oregano, and lime juice. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and the crushed peppercorns. Set aside at room temperature to allow the flavours to marry. (I blitzed it in the food processor)
Salsa Criolla

2 medium onions (I used 2/3 of a big sweet onion)
3 ripe tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 handfuls of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Chop the onions and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and put into a bowl, add the garlic and parsley and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour in the vinegar and oil and mix well to incorporate the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve at room temperature.
Who goes there?
I must confess, I have a little help in the garden. No, no lawn service, no eager young student making topiaries out of my boxwood, not even child to pull the occasional weed. What I do have is a green frog who sits on guard in my herb pot. Never again will my small leaf basil and French tarragon be plundered while I am unawares. This little guy has taken it upon himself to see that these herbs get the respect that they deserve. Who guards your herbs?