Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Whole Wheat Focaccia

This week for the BBA Challenge, I made Peter Reinhart's Focaccia. But instead of making his Bread Baker's Apprentice version, I made the one from his other book - Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor.
I had baked the last couple of breads in their white form, as I figured the French and Cranberry-Walnut loaves would be tastier that way, but I was really craving getting back to our whole grains.
The dough is kneaded, risen, and shaped into a pan, before spending the night in the fridge to develop flavour and personality. Click here for the recipe on Google Books.

The next day it gets left out on the counter to warm up and rise, redimpled, and topped with the chosen flavourings. In this case I chose sweet million cherry tomatoes from my garden, halved, and my favourite focaccia herbs - rosemary and thyme. Another drizzle of olive oil and a liberal sprinkling of Trapani sea salt and thrown into the hot, hot oven.

We loved these crisp focaccia slices with dinner, and toasted up the leftovers the next day to serve with eggs and cheese. Yum!
This 100% whole wheat focaccia has been Yeastspotted!