Thursday, 1 October 2009

Fall Flavours: Apple Cake and a Product Review

Last weekend we went to the local orchard market to indulge in some of the new apple crops. Even though they supply the grocery stores, the apples in their own market are about twice the size (and twice the price, but very fine specimens indeed).
We bought a box of cortlands for cooking and honeycrisps for eating. Never had a fresh from the farm honeycrisp? They are my absolute favourite eating apple - well worth tracking down if you live in an apple producing climate.

While I would never denature my beloved honeycrisps, the cortlands immediately found themselves volunteering to be a cake for my son. This cake is much like a coffee cake and delicous with a hot mug of Earl Grey tea.
Make sure the center is cooked through, I have a terrible habit of pulling these things out early and having to cut out the very center. Second-guesser that I am.

I am also not-so-secretly thrilled to be able to use my sunflower pan, probably my favourite of my NordicWare collection.

Mrs. McCabe's Apple Cake
Bundt Entertaining

5 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used cortlands and am way too lazy to peel apples)
5 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/4 cup orange juice (I used fresh squeezed)
1 tbsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a Sunflower Pan (or 10" springform, lined with parchment).
In a medium bowl, stir together all the apple ingredients.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients in order given; mix until smooth. Spoon half of the batter into prepared pan. Spoon half of the apples over batter, being careful not to have apples couch sides of pan. Top with remaining batter. Spoon remaining apples over batter, being careful not to have apples touch sides of pan.
Bake at 350F for 85 to 90 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack. 16 servings.

Product Review:
Frebreze Home Collection

This month I was the happy recipient of the new Febreze Home Collection to review. The Home Collection consists of the Febreze Flameless Luminaire, Febreze Scented Reed Diffuser and Febreze Soy Candle; in Pomegranate Mango, Green Tea Citrus, Willow Blossom and, for a limited time over the holidays, Cranberry Holly.
I have to admit, these scents are more my style than the tropical ones from the last promotion. A little more earthy, I guess I am a fall.
When I first take them out of their packages, I find them to be a little overpowering. They need a day or two to settle, so I would put one in a lower traffic area for the first day. I have the world's tiniest house, so they work best for me in the large family room. We are in a bungalow, so my family room is in the basement, and I love to have one of Febreze's products there to keep the scent light and clean and not at all basementy. (That's a word, right?)
For this line of product they have concentrated on the looks as well as the scent. The fun flickering "candle", soy candle with the wooden base that can be used as a lid, and the reed diffuser are all meant to coordinate rather than compete with your furnishings.
My favourite flavour? Pomegranate Mango. But then again I haven't tried the Cranberry Holly one yet...