Wednesday, 14 October 2009
Midnight Sneaks - Party Popcorn
Midnight Sneaks, those snacks that bring us back for more..
Mine would definitely be savoury over sweet. I like salty and spicy.
This party popcorn with the cinnamon and cumin and paprika was the perfect choice for the Midnight Sneaks theme for this week's cooking club.
I loved the complex flavour, and will be making this a regular bar snack for my place. The only thing I would change would be to halve the salt. It was a little too salty for me, and I love salt!
Nigella Lawson, Nigella Express
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup (unpopped) popcorn
4 tbsp butter
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground paprika
4 tsp table salt (way too much, use half)
4 tsp sugar
1. Put the oil into the biggest pan you have with a lid over high heat, (med-high was enough for me), add the popcorn, and quickly put on the lid.
2. Let the popcorn pop, shaking the pan every now and then to keep the kernels moving. You will hear it, but don't be tempted to look, unless you want to get shot at, and once it has stopped popping - a couple of minutes or so - take it off the heat.
3. Melt the butter with the spices, in another pan, salt, and sugar, then pour it over the popcorn and put everything into a large paper shopping bag. Fold the top over to hold in the popcorn.
4. Shake, shake, and shake the bag again to mix the popcorn and get it thoroughly coated in the spicy butter.
5. Arrange in several party bowls.