Saturday, 3 October 2009

My New Toy - a 3-Tiered Spouter!

For my birthday last month hubby bought me a three tiered sprouter. And when I say "bought me", I mean that I found it in a catalogue, announced that he was buying for me, and proceeded to order it from the catalogue. I am a very helpful wife that way.
I started with three kinds of sprouting seeds; alfalfa, broccoli, and radish. A spoonful of each is scattered in its respective tray. I did them in alphabetical order so I would remember which was which without actually having to put labels on my neato sprouter.
Then water is poured into the top layer and siphons draw the water from one layer to the other, leaving only a small layer in the bottom of each, and welling up in the bottom layer for removal.
All in all a pretty neat process, that you do twice a day until the sprouts are the size you wish.

It is amazing to me how fast they grow. One minute they are little tiny seeds and then they are some magical garden on your kitchen counter.
When I am not rinsing them I keep my sprouter on a shelf in the office where it receives indirect sunlight.
I love my science experiments and was excited to try sprouting but was worried about my so/so ability to keep plants alive inside. They have performed beautifully though, I am so pleased.
When they are ready for harvesting, I serve what we are eating at the time and put the rest in a small leftover organic greens clamshell that I cut a couple of slits into and lined with a damp paper towel and keep in the fridge. Fresher is better, don't leave them too long.

So, I have a couple of questions for you - have you ever sprouted before? Do you have any tips or tricks to share?
What do you use the sprouts for besides salads and sammies?

Aren't these radish sprouts gorgeous? They are so pungent and radishy too!
My resources so far:
Vesey's Biosta 3-Tier Sprouter
Mumm's Sprouting Seeds
These are Canadian links but all these pages have American links on them.

*I have the Biosta 3-Tier sprouter, but as it is the only one I have ever used I can't compare it to anything. I am very happy with it though. The only time is has clogged is with a couple of small seeds in the siphon, I just used a toothpick to dislodge them.
I don't think I have to tell you how healthy sprouts are, and having something so fresh in the dead of winter is a very exciting prospect to me!