Sunday, November 8, 2009

Butternut Squash Chipotle Soup served with Marble Rye

This is an easy and tasty soup to keep you warm and nourished in these colder and darker days. Really it couldn't be simpler. Feel free to change the flavourings with harissa, sriracha or any other favourite spicy seasoning. The most difficult part of the soup is peeling the squash.

My version is lightened up a bit with the addition of fresh yogurt, and some crunch is added with the toasted squash seeds. Bon appetit!


Butternut Squash Chipotle Soup
Gourmet 5-ingredients

Ingredients:

1 (2 1/4-lb) butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp minced canned chipotle chile in adobo plus additional adobo sauce for drizzling
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used yogurt)

Directions:

Bring squash, onion, chile, broth, and 3 cups water to a boil in a large heavy saucepan over high heat. Reduce to moderately low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until squash is very tender and falling apart, 25-30 minutes.

Puree soup with immersion blender, stir in cream and salt to taste and heat, stirring, until hot.

Divide soup among bowls and drizzle each serving with additional adobo sauce.

My changes - I omitted the water and just covered the squash and onions with chicken broth. I used plain yogurt instead of cream and toasted up the seeds with some chile seasoning and salt for garnish.
Also, I always add a little salt at the beginning of the cooking process, and adjust at the end.
Taste for seasonings, you may want more chipotle.

I served the soup with thick slices of this marble rye, the latest bread baked from The Bread Baker's Apprentice challenge. I toasted the slices up and broiled some shredded mozzarella cheese on them. Delish!

The marble rye instructions give the choice of caramel colouring, coffee, and cocoa for the darker half. I used coffee but I think next time I will try the cocoa - the difference in colour is very subtle. I want more drama out of my marble rye!
Either way, the taste is delicious. I love rye bread, especially with caraway.
This marble rye has been Yeastspotted... and is particularly good with butter...


SouperSundays