Thursday, 19 November 2009

Pomegranate Love

I have read recently that November is Pomegranate Month. Nice to have such a cheery and colourful fruit around when the days are shorter and colder. I love to dress up a tagine with pomegranate seeds for colour and flavour, and the tartness contrasts nicely with the earthy stew.
These are my single serving tagines, nice for tableware. They keep your dinner warm - very handy indeed!
I found this recipe for Moroccan Squash Tagine with Garbanzos and Couscous on Leite's Culinaria. I love squash in a tagine, it goes very well with the sweet smoky cinnamon. I did find this recipe a little mild for my tastes, and ended up increasing the flavourings. Garnished with my additions of ruby red pomegranate seeds and fresh mint from my garden (no, the frost has not killed it yet - it is a super-herb!) This made for a very tasty autumn dinner. The recipe needed sprucing up, but made for a good jumping off point.

I served the tagine with a cocktail from Nigella Lawson for this week's Pot Luck at I Heart Cooking Clubs.
She calls it a Pomegranate Bellini.

Pomegranate Bellini Recipe
by Nigella Lawson.
For 6 bellinis

3 1/3 cups of Prosecco wine
1 1/3 cup chilled pomegranate purée or concentrated juice

Proportions :
1 part chilled pomegranate for 3 parts chilled prosecco.
2.Pour 1/4 cup pomegranate purée or juice into a glass
3.Top with prosecco

I used pomegranate molasses, the label says pure pomegranate concentrate. I added a couple of tbsp to the bottom of the glass and topped with Spanish Cava. (Bubbly) Decorated with pomegranate seeds, this cocktail went very nicely with our tagine.
The colour was like that of strong cider and the tartness of the pomegranate was very nice with dinner.
I loved how the bubbles carried the seeds up and down the glass.

I will be away for a couple of days. I have dental surgery scheduled for this morning (Thursday). I plan on taking it easy for a couple of days. I have to admit, I am very nervous. But if it gets rid of the chronic facial nerve pain that I have been experiencing.. it will be worth it.
Wish me luck!



IHCC