Thursday, 12 November 2009

Smoky Mushroom and Chorizo Soup with Shrimp

Ever have one of those moments when you read a recipe and, not only does it sound delicious, but you have everything you need to make it on hand already? I love it when that happens.
I saw this hearty soup recipe on my friend's foodie blog Fresh Local and Best and just had to make it. It reminded me of paella, in soup form, and had all my favourite flavours.
The original recipe is Smoky Shrimp and Chorizo Soup, but when I started making it a bag of mushrooms was looking at me forlornly out of the crisper and so I let the mushrooms star in the soup too. The more the merrier!


Smoky Shrimp-and-Chorizo Soup
Food and Wine Magazine
Recipe by Grace Parisi

Ingredients
2 pounds medium shrimp—shelled and deveined, shells reserved *I subbed over half of the shrimp with mushroom quarters
2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth *I used less and added a big splash of white wine
8 ounces dry chorizo, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 large carrot, cut into fine matchsticks
1 garlic clove, minced *I used four
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Avocado slices, for garnish
Garlic-rubbed toasts, for serving

Directions
1.In a medium saucepan, simmer the shrimp shells in the chicken broth, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain the broth and discard the shells.
2.In a large soup pot, cook the chorizo over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a plate. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and paprika to the pot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Return the chorizo to the pot, add the shrimp broth and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat for 25 minutes. Stir the flour mixture, whisk it into the soup and boil for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp to the soup and cook just until pink and curled, about 2 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the avocado. Serve with the toasts.
*I also threw in a handful of barley for added heartiness


SouperSundays