Sunday, November 22, 2009

Squashtacular

Since I have learned from my squash loving friend Joanne that the best thing to pair with squash is.. well, more squash.. I have made a Roasted Apple and Acorn Squash Soup to go with Zoe Francois's Pumpkin Pie Brioche for Souper Sunday.
This made for a warm and comforting autumn meal, nourishing and gentle. Don't worry, only hubby's bowl was garnished with the toasted squash seeds, I am still avoiding hard edges.

Using this recipe, I used about 60% of the dough in my Sunflower pan to make a cheery loaf for the weekend. I omitted the sugar on top so that I might pair the bread with savoury as well as sweet.
At first I thought the dough was rather dry.. then I realized I forgot to add the pumpkin puree! Good thing I lay out all of my ingredients before baking, I soon saw the can while I was cleaning up and was able to add it in with the help of my food processor.

Adding the puree later left interesting pumpkin streaks throughout the bread.
I egg-washed the smooth side, baked it for 35 minutes in the pan, flipped it out onto a pizza pan, egg-washed the detailed side and baked detail-side up for another 10 minutes.
The softness of the loaf with the pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger (you know I used extra spices!) was just delightful - we really enjoyed this bread.

This Pumpkin Pie Brioche has been Yeastspotted!
This was a delicious autumn soup, I love the sweetness that the roasted apples give to the squash, and how smooth they are when blended. I added a splash of brandy too, just for fun!

Roasted Apple and Acorn Squash Soup
Warm up with this deliciously simple soup on a cold day.
recipe and info from BC Tree.com
Serves 6.

2 apples, unpeeled, cored, cut in half
1 medium acorn squash, cut in half
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
4 cups (1 L) chicken broth (I used a bit less, and added brandy)
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley, optional (I didn't have any)

Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C). Place apples and squash upside down in a shallow pan with 1/4 inch of water. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove apples and set aside. Flip squash over. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Broil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

In saucepan, heat remaining olive oil. Add onions and sautee for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sautee for 1 minute. Add chicken stock, apple and peeled squash. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree in blender to desired consistency. (I just use my immersion blender) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with freshly chopped parsley.

Per serving: 132 Calories , Carbohydrate 17 g (47%), Protein 4.3 g (13%), Fat 5.8 g (40%). Suitable for diabetic diets.
# Servings of Fruits & Vegetables per 1 serving of recipe = 1.5

I generally toast up the seeds of any squash I use. Just at 400f with olive oil, salt and whatever seasoning I feel like. They don't take long. I do them in the toaster oven and stir once in a while until toasty. They are good for garnish or snacking.

SouperSundays