Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Pain de Campagne

This week for the Bread Baker's Apprentice challenge, I made Pain de Campagne. A rustic bread, similar to a baguette but made more hearty with the addition of some whole grain flour.

A paté fermentée is made the night before, then blended with the flours, yeast, salt and water to make the dough. It rises for two hours and then is shaped into three interesting shapes of your choosing, rises for another hour and is baked at a high heat.

For shaping, I chose the Epi - the wheat stalk - that is made out of a baguette shape and snipped with scissors and stretched out to form the blades. And the Couronne - the crown - a boule is made, a hole created in the middle and creases formed in the shape of a big square. I also made a Fendu - a creased, almost folded-in shape - but mine rose up in the oven and lost much of its shape. It was still delicious though! Click here for the recipe. My daughter, my husband, and I sat down and ate these two loaves of bread and that wheel of brie in one sitting. It is just that good. This might be my favourite bread yet.