Sunday, 13 December 2009

Piccante Dolce's Chipotle Mango Pulled Pork Sammies

There are times, when surfing and blog visiting and twittering that I wonder - wow, what just happened to the last couple of hours of my life? It is true, foodie bloggers spend a lot of time online. Some days are more productive than others.
But one of the bright points of this online life is the inspiration and support that other foodie bloggers offer. The other day I had a craving. I really wanted a pulled pork sammie. With chipotle peppers. I had a little boneless pork shoulder roast and didn't want to have to go out and pick up any extra ingredients.
I tweeted my desires and was instantly provided the perfect recipe for my cravings. Piccante Dolce sent me a link to her signature crock pot dish and I couldn't be happier. It was easy and totally delicious. My kind of meal! Hubby was so very happy with this dish, I am sure I could make it every week for him for the rest of his life.
I had a 2lb roast, so I scaled the recipe back by about a third (the original recipe is below) Except for the garlic of course, I would never reduce garlic. Also, the original recipe called for mango - I didn't have any on hand but I did have half a fresh pineapple and so used that instead. I am sure the mango would be great, and the pineapple was delicious. The fruit adds a nice element of sweetness to the pulled pork. This recipe is a winner. Thanks Piccante!

Chipotle Mango Pineapple Pulled Pork
Piccante Dolce

1 3-4 lb pork shoulder - trimmed of any excess fat (trying to be SB conscious)
1 - 2 large mangoes - cubed (I didn't have mangoes, I used fresh pineapple)
1 large onion - diced
4 cloves of garlic - minced
2-4 chipotle chilis canned in adobo - seeded deveined and chopped (depending on how much heat you want)
1 Tbsp adobo from the canned chilis
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup whiskey
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp mustard powder
salt & pepper
buns or bread of your choice
sliced avocado for garnish (I also added home-grown sprouts)

Action Shots!

1. Place pork shoulder in slow cooker and cover with vinegar, ketchup, whiskey, mango, onions, garlic, chilis, adobo and spices. Set to cook for 8 hours on high. (I switched to low after about 5 hours)
2. At the end of the cook time, carefully remove the pro shoulder from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir with the remaining liquid.
3. Serve on toasted buns topped with sliced avocado and cole slaw on the side.

World's simplest basic slaw.
In your food processor - slice thin wedges of green cabbage so that they end up like ribbons. Shred peeled carrots. Empty into large bowl. Add, to taste, apple cider vinegar, mayo, kosher salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Toss and adjust seasoning again to taste. Leftovers make great lunchbox fare.
You can tart your slaw up to match your meals, really the sky is the limit.

Chipotle Pineapple Pulled Pork Sammies for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad and Sammies) with Deb of Kahakai Kitchen and Crock Pot Wednesdays with Dining with Debbie! What can I say? I have a thing for Debs.