Saturday, 30 January 2010

Mediterranean Panini on Potato Rosemary Bread

A good sammie is a joy.

I have a confession to make. I took secret pleasure in the demise of our panini maker this past year. Not that I didn't love it, I did! I love the dense, crunchy texture that it gives a sammie, so completely different from what a toaster or oven could ever do...
But you see, our old panini maker had flat plates. Yup, no groovy lines in my sammies. Sigh.
But I soldiered on, living life bravely without the cool ridges in my panini, holding my head up even though, without the tell-tale marks, one might not even notice at first glance that they were, in fact, panini and not merely toasted sammies.
But you see, the old press did pass away. And after a respectful grieving time we set about getting a new one.. one with ridges. For our anniversary actually. We are very romantic that way.
See how pretty those ridges make a sammie? No comparison really.

I built these panini (panini is plural, panino is singular) on the Potato Rosemary Bread from Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, page 219. As luck would have it, you can find the recipe here or here.
The is for the BBA challenge, and I am just over a dozen breads away from baking everything in the book! Whew, thasalottabread!
As you can see, I made a dozen rolls instead of the two loaves - they are light and flavourful with roasted garlic and fresh rosemary. Delicious!

These Potato Rosemary buns have been Yeastspotted!

Mediterranean Panini
(also spelled pannini)
no real recipe required..

Jarred roasted red peppers
Feta cheese, sliced
Baby spinach
*Red onions and mushrooms, sautéed in olive oil with garlic and dried thyme leaves - then seasoned to taste with balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

Assemble on some delicious bread or buns and place in panini press until beautifully golden and crunchy.

Garnish if desired.

Go on, take a big bite, you know you want to!

Mediterranean Panini on Potato Rosemary Bread for Souper Sunday with Deb of Kahakai Kitchen.
SouperSundays