Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Nigella's Welsh Rarebit Muffins

The theme for this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs is Resolutions. I have to admit, it has been quite a while since I have made any. I am not sure if it is fear of failing, built on years of great intentions and lack of stamina, ennui, or general fatigue at the general idea of them.
I no longer make vows that this year will be different, that I will somehow be more perfect than the last year. Indeed I will be happy just not to deteriorate too much this year.
Don't get me wrong, I do have hopes for myself for this year... just quiet little ones and a general feeling that this year has to be better than last. Judging by the comments and tweets I have read recently, I am not alone in this.
So what to make for a Resolutions dish? Well, I have two cake domes in my kitchen - to showcase and make instantly accessible the treats that I whip up in the kitchen for hubs and chillens alike. Of course, now we don't eat much sugar and the kids are busy with their own lives.. and, with the exception of some aging Christmas cookies, the domes stand bare. Sad, I know.
So my desire is this, to find some interesting recipes and keep some good grab-and-go snacks in the domes for my hard working hubby to take on his commute or have when he gets home. This is where the Welsh Rarebit Muffins come in. Neither particularly healthy nor sweet, they are a great snack for on the road and would be delicious with breakfast eggs or a bowl of soup.

Welsh-Rarebit Muffins
Nigella Lawson, FoodNetwork.com

For the muffins:

* 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
* 1/3 cup rye flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
* Generous 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
* 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain whole-milk yogurt
* 1/2 cup whole milk
* 1 egg
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

For the topping:

2 tablespoons grated sharp Cheddar

Worcestershire sauce, for garnish

Special equipment: 12-cup muffin pan lined with 12 paper baking cups
For the muffins:


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, mustard powder and cheese in a large bowl with a fork. In a large measuring cup, beat together the remaining ingredients. Pour into dry ingredients, mixing lightly with your fork, remember that good muffins are made from lumpy batter.

Pour into muffin cups and cook for 20 minutes, then quickly take them out of the oven and put a little cheese and sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce on each one. Put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes, and then put the muffins on a baking sheet to cool. Eat them while they are still warm but not hot.

When Nigella partakes of carbs, sweets and other naughty foods they all seem to go to her.. ahem, smile.
Why, why am I not that lucky?

Moving on...
Results. We really liked these. I made them in my mini loaf tin and took 5 minutes off the time. They are quite salty, which is ok with me as I am a salt fiend. If you are not a salt fiend, cut the salt in half, at least. The cheese, self-raising flour and Worcestershire sauce are all salty in their own right.