Wednesday, 3 February 2010

Arroz con Leche

There are good points and bad points to having a husband who is interested and active in my food blog.
He is a wonderfully adventurous and enthusiastic eater - good point.
He is proud and supportive of what I do - very nice.
He helps with the photography - also very good.
But these good points seem to make him feel entitled to make editing decisions or comments on my meals or plating.
"Didn't we just do a fish curry not too long ago?"
"Are you really going to use that plate?"
I don't mind him offering his opinion.. as long as it is one I want to hear.

So when I made this Arroz con Leche - rice pudding - in an ice cream vessel with two decorative spoons - I was going for a Soda Shoppe/Valentine's Day romantic old-fashioned look.
He said something along the lines of "Take me to your leader".
Ok, he has a point. It does look a little alien, but I assure you it was nonetheless delicious.

Puddings are a risk, people either like them or they don't. It's a texture thing. I happen to love creamy puddings and rice pudding is up there right after ice cream for me. With raisins, another polarizing ingredient. If you don't like them - leave them out. Ingrid Hoffman's Arroz con Leche is mildly spiced, creamy and delicious. I have never made a rice pudding with condensed milk before and it gave such a delightfully creamy sweetness. I do not want to even know how many calories are in it - I prefer not to dwell on such things. I'll have a salad later, I swear.

Arroz con Leche
Ingrid Hoffmann

Show: Simply Delicioso with Ingrid Hoffmann
Episode: Mommy & Me

1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 whole cloves
4 cups water
1 egg
3 cups whole milk
1 (12-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins, optional

Soak the rice, cinnamon sticks, lemon zest and whole cloves in the water in a heavy saucepan for 1 hour.

After soaking, bring the rice mixture to a boil on high heat, uncovered. When it starts to boil (about 5 minutes), lower the heat to medium and cook for 10 to 12 more minutes or until water is almost evaporated.

While rice is cooking, beat the egg in a bowl. Add the milk and stir well to mix. Add the egg mixture, vanilla extract and condensed milk to the rice and cook over medium-low heat, stirring carefully, until it thickens slightly or until desired consistency, about 25 to 35 minutes.

Let cool uncovered.

Note: be aware that as the rice cools it thickens. The finished product will be thinner than traditional rice pudding. (Mine was plenty thick)

Ingrid Hoffman's Arroz con Leche for The Food Network Chefs Cooking Challenge.