Sunday, February 28, 2010

Booze is the Answer!

I forget the question.

Oh yeah, have you ever made ice cream that turns into an unscoopable solid in the freezer? I have learned, from the master of ice cream (and booze!), David Lebovitz, that a little booze in the mix keeps the custard from getting too hard in the freezer.
Also it gives the ice cream a nice grown-up flavour and just a hint of naughtiness.

In Lebovitz's Tiramisu Ice Cream, a full two cups of mascarpone cheese (I used my homemade mascarpone) is mixed with half and half cream, sugar, a pinch of salt, brandy and a full quarter cup of Kahlua. This is some rich stuff my friends, a little goes a long way.

The ice cream is churned and layered with homemade mocha ripple for an even more decadent confection.
Click here for the full recipes.
All that booze, more than his usual recipes, keeps this a soft and sensual treat - prone to quick melting under a hot light - so take any pictures quickly!