Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Catching Up with the BBA

Catching up on baking through Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, I have the Poilâne-Style High Extraction Miche (above and below) and the Sourdough Pumpernickel Rye (in the second half of the post).
The miche is his one of the signature loaves, to be sure, it graces the front cover of The Bread Baker's Apprentice and we have done our best to mimic that cover. Not bad, eh? The one lurking behind is the funny shaped one, as I only have two brotforms, one round and one oval, and the breads don't fit on the stone together unless I shove the round one over a bit. Bread baking can be a brutal business.

I took Peter up on his suggestion of adding a little bread flour instead of sifting the bran out of the whole wheat. I also spiked the dough with a pinch of yeast to make sure it wasn't too dense, and baked it into two loaves rather than one giant one.
The results were absolutely delicious. Such a chewy and satisfying bread - tangy and with a thick crunchy crust. Very much a winner.

Directions for the Poilâne-Style High Extraction Miche can be found here.


Puppies Bake Bread!
This instructive video was posted recently on The Fresh Loaf. Enjoy!


Sourdough Pumpernickel Rye

Also tasty was this pumpernickel rye, a mixed bread of sourdough and yeast. It gets its characteristic colour from cocoa powder, and you can actually taste it in the bread. A very tasty bread indeed.. but I did love the miche more.

Directions for the Sourdough Pumpernickel Rye can be found here.

As you might imagine, we have been eating a lot of sandwiches lately. I now have nine breads to go before I finish baking all of the breads in the BBA - the countdown is on the left hand side bar. Other people are finished, or almost finished, and many are still happily baking away at their own speed. I have definitely picked up pace now that I am so close to finishing. The preferment for the next bread is bubbling away and I am wondering what the heck I am going to do when I am done the book!


These breads have been Yeastspotted!