Monday, 15 February 2010

Nigella's Chicken with Chorizo and Cannellini. Also, I have the world's cutest and most talented son, just sayin'.

It is Potluck time at I Heart Cooking Clubs, I chose a healthy meal this week. Poached chicken breast on a bed of sautéed Spanish chorizo, kale and cannellini beans.
Don't quote me on it, but I think this might have been my first time poaching chicken. And possibly my last. I definitely prefer baking for taste and texture but I was happy to have tried it.
The cannellini, chorizo and kale was lovely - and generous. A great idea for a side, the smoky sausage really brought out the best in the beans. The recipe says serves one. I made the meal according to the recipe (needing a little more time for the chicken and also serving it all on a bed of baby spinach) and added one extra breast to make the meal serve two. We still had leftovers. Nigella has a big appetite.

Chicken with Chorizo and Cannellini
Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson

Show: Nigella Bites Episode: TV Dinners

Ingredients
2 cups chicken stock
1 free-range chicken supreme (or skinless breast)
Approximately 4 1/2-ounces trimmed kale (a generous 1/2 cup)
1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil (not extra-virgin)
4 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced then chopped
1 (14-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
Smoked sweet paprika, for garnish

Directions
In a saucepan, bring the stock to a gentle boil, lower in the chicken and cook, still gently, for 10 minutes or until all trace of pink has disappeared. Pierce with the point of a knife to check.

Meanwhile, cook the kale, which you've roughly torn into pieces, in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes (if it's tough) and drain. Then heat the oil in a frying pan, throw in the chopped chorizo, add the drained cannellini and, stirring, warm everything through, moistening with a couple of tablespoons or so of the chicken stock - or more if you want this soupier.

Tip the beans and chorizo into a shallow bowl or lipped plate, roughly arrange the kale on top (drizzling with a little extra-virgin olive oil if you like) and then lift the cooked chicken out of the stock with a spatula and sit this on top of the kale. Sprinkle the pale chicken breast with the paprika and gaze at your Spanish still life of a supper before eating it.


I know, it has been awhile since you have seen my son Dawson Harry. Here he is in one of his comedy troupe's (Elephants in the Room) sketches. Harry plays the part of the casting director in this sketch. Enjoy.

Harry is a budding director/writer/actor/videographer/editor, and I am a proud mom.

Nigella's Chicken with Chorizo and Cannellini for I Heart Cooking Clubs Pot Luck
IHCC