Saturday, 27 March 2010

Nigella's Italian Beetroot Salad

This is the second-to-last week that I Heart Cooking Clubs will be cooking up Nigella Lawson's recipes. In the race to be the next chef - Flay, Oliver, and Bittman have been pretty neck in neck in neck all month. As of this posting there is about 17 hours left to vote. Feel free to cast your vote and join us in the next six months of exploring the winner's dishes.

This week I chose Nigella's Italian Beetroot Salad for Potluck, I had some beautiful beetroot and, as luck would have it, some quick pickled red onions leftover from a Michael Symon burger we made the night before. (Recipe tomorrow) It is fate I tell you. I was destined to make this salad.

Roasted beets are delicious, I make them in my counter-top oven. I like to dice the beets first, that way they caramelize all over. Just toss them in a little olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh black pepper and roast until tender. (I like a little bite left)

Italian Beetroot Salad
Nigella Lawson, Forever Summer
(I made a scaled-down version of this, served on salad greens)


1 red onion
2x15ml tablespoons red wine vinegar
8 large or 16 small cooked beetroot *in my opinion, roasted is the only way to go with beets.
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp chopped mint
Maldon sea salt

Peel the onion and cut it into fine rings, then sit these rings in a shallow bowl and spoon over the red wine vinegar. Cover with clingfilm and leave to steep for at least a quarter of an hour or for up to three.
Slice the beetroot and arrange these rounds on a large plate, top gracefully with the onion rings, pouring over any vinegar from the bowl and then drizzle over the oil and sprinkle with the mint and Maldon salt.