Thursday, 4 March 2010

Padma Lakshmi's Singapore Noodles with Shrimp and Shiitake Mushrooms

She cooks too. On top of being a model/actress/hostess of Top Chef..
I am happy that I can make dinner and pair socks. Okay, I lied, I am terrible at pairing socks. I am of the "close enough" mentality. If hubby's co-workers are reading this - please don't look too closely at his feet.
I had picked this book up in the summer and realized lately that I hadn't actually cooked anything from it. Flipping through the pages, these Singapore Noodles with Shrimp and Shiitake Mushrooms called my name. They are so very good, go back to the fridge at midnight or even eat them cold in the morning good. Like take-away but so much better.

Singapore Noodles with Shrimp and Shiitake Mushrooms
Padma Lakshmi

“This is my favorite noodle dish. I first tasted a version of it at Mr.Chow’s in Los Angeles, and then I had a Filipino version that my housekeeper Ofelia made called pancit. In South India we make a version called semia upma. Chinese and Thai cuisines also have their own noodle dishes, and of course the Japanese have soba and udon. I much prefer rice noodles to other thick noodles because they are more delicate and light on the tongue. The fresh mint and curry powder give off a hot and cool effect in the same bite. When I make these noodles for my cousin Rajni, who is a strict vegetarian (like many in my family), I leave out the shrimp and fish sauce, and it still tastes great.” Padma Lakshmi

3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced fresh hot red chili (you can also use green Serrano chili)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
1 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 cup shredded carrots
4 ounces cellophane rice noodles (vermicelli type), softened per package instructions
1 cup chopped fresh mint


1. In a large deep skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add the onions, garlic and ginger. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, turn the heat down to medium and add the fresh chili.

2. After about 2 minutes, add the mushrooms and carrots and stir. Then 2 minutes later, add the curry powder, soy and fish sauces; and 2 more minutes later, add the shrimp and stir for 3 to 4 more minutes. Make sure not to overcook the shrimp.

3. Next, add the rice noodles and toss well to combine all the ingredients.

4. Now sprinkle the fresh mint over the top and cover. Stir the mint into the noodles just before removing from the heat and serving it at the table. SERVES 6-8