Wednesday, 7 April 2010

BLT Salad

Mark Bittman read my mind. I know, I was as surprised as you are. But his new book, Kitchen Express, lays out the recipes like I would - if I wrote a book.
No you musts, and you must nots, it comes across as a casual guide in the kitchen, handy with guidance and ideas.
For our first week of cooking up Bittman's recipes at I Heart Cooking Clubs, I chose his BLT Salad. What's not to love? Bacon, tomatoes, crusty bread, puréed avocado dressing...

BLT Salad
adapted from Mark Bittman
Kitchen Express
for IHCC *Bites of Bittman*

The avocado dressing really sets this apart.

Fry a few small cubes of slab bacon for about five minutes or until crisp. Purée an avocado, a handful of basil leaves, a clove of garlic, juice from one (or more) limes, about one quarter cup of olive oil, kosher salt, cracked black pepper and 1 tsp honey together in the food processor or blender; if you like a thinner dressing, add a few drops of water.
Layer baby greens with sliced tomatoes and chopped red onions. Add the bacon to the vegetables and dress with the puréed mixture. Serve with warm, crusty bread.

Mmm, now, let's see..
Olive oil is a good fat, avocados are a good fat.. when will they announce that bacon is a good fat?
Can we start a petition for that kind of thing?


*A Comment-Free Blogger*