Thursday, April 29, 2010

Light Rye... with Cumin! Oops.

Within this loaf lies a secret. Okay, not so much of a secret any more. Instead of the required caraway seeds blended into the dough.. I put cumin seeds. In my brilliance the other day, I decided to put seeds with seeds in my spice rack. Caraway and cumin looking like good friends side by side - and since I use cumin so often... I just grabbed it and threw it in. It wasn't until I was glazing the loaves and sprinkling the caraway on top that I realized what I had done.
I put those babies in the oven and hoped for the best. Luckily I like cumin - though if I didn't like it I suppose I wouldn't have any on hand anyway.
The flavours are bold, now having both cumin and caraway, and particularly good toasted.. with cheese.
So there you have it - a pretty loaf with a not-so-dark secret. A happy mistake!

Hamelman’s Light Rye Bread (Home recipe/formula)
Makes 2 large loaves
recipe sourced from Bread Baker's Blog, an excellent blog on... baking bread!

Sourdough
Medium rye flour 4.8 oz (1 1/8 cups
Water 3.8 oz (1/2 cup)
Mature sourdough culture 0.2 oz (2 tsp)

Final Dough
High gluten flour (or bread flour) 1 lb, 11.2 oz (6 1/8 cups)
Water 1 lb, 1.3 oz (2 1/8 cups)
Caraway seeds 0.6 oz (2 1/2 T)
Salt 0.6 oz (1 T)
Yeast 0 .16 oz, instant dry (1 1/2 tsp)
Sourdough 8.6 oz (all of the above minus 2 tsp)

Total 3 lb, 6.5 oz

1. Sourdough: Prepare the sourdough and ripen for 14 to 16 hours at 70 deg. F

2. Mixing: Add all the ingredients to the mixing bowl. In a spiral mixer, mix for 3 minutes on first speed and 3 to 4 minutes on second, until a strong gluten development is achieved. Desired dough temperature: 78-80 deg. F.

3. Bulk Fermentation: 1 hour.

4. Dividing and Shaping: Divide the dough into 1.5 pound pieces. Shape oblong or as a round boule (as in above photo).

5. Final Fermentation: 50-60 minutes at 78-80 deg. F.

6. Baking: With normal steam, 460 deg. F for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 440 deg. F and bake for 20-25 minutes. Just before loading [the loaves into the oven] score the loaves by making 3 or 4 cuts across the surface, perpendicular to the length of the loaf.

Caraway Seed Variation: Caraway seeds can be added to the top of the loaf. Gently press the top of the shaped loaves with a damp cloth (or lightly spritz with a fine mist of water from a small spray bottle) and then sprinkle caraway seeds onto the moistened surface.
*I use an egg glaze (1 egg whisked with 1 tsp water) and then sprinkle on the seeds.

This bread has been Yeastspotted!

MellowBakers.com