Thursday, 15 April 2010

Popcorn Brittle with Peanuts

Munch, munch, snurffle, gobble, munch..
I can't help it, once I start eating popcorn I can't stop. I have been known to have popcorn for dinner on those rare occasions that nobody is coming home to feed. Usually I just have it with salt, or Nigella's spice mix, but this week I managed to find a recipe to make it twice as addictive and totally bad for you. Somehow I don't think the addition of the nuts will make up in protein what the sugar gives in naughtiness. But it is good though, really good.

I'm making it for Harry! I said, to a questioning hubby. He looked around. Okay, so maybe Harry wasn't home. Maybe Harry was at his new job til the wee hours and maybe Harry doesn't much care for popcorn anyway. Well, like a good mother I ate it for him.
While watching Bones. Is anyone else just waiting for Boothe to vamp out? Okay, just me then. On to the brittled popcorn!

Brittled Popcorn (with Peanuts)
adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
Mark Bittman
for Pantry Raid, I Heart Cooking Clubs

2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
4 cups popped popcorn, plain
2 handfuls roasted peanuts
Pinch Maldon sea salt

Grease a large baking sheet liberally with butter
Put sugar and water in heavy bottom, small deep pot. Cook, without stirring, until sugar dissolves and turns colour. When you have a nice golden brown, remove from heat.
Put the popcorn and peanuts into a heat-proof, buttered bowl.
Drizzle over the finished caramel, carefully.
Immediately stir together with a heat-proof spatula or spoon and turn out onto baking sheet.
Let set up and break into chunks.