Saturday, 15 May 2010

Long Live the Sproutman!

Ever since the Sprouted Bread challenge of Bread Baking Day #11, a whole two years ago now, I have been addicted to sprouting. For the bread challenge I found a recipe in an old book and sprouted wheat berries in mason jars to bake into bread. What a revelation! Sprouted foods are easier to digest and contain a host of nutrients and enzymes not present in the seed or mature plant. A wonder of nature, sprouts boggle the mind. Or, my mind anyway.

From that first adventure grew my desire to experiment with more sprouts, indeed to start my own little sprouting garden. I bullied talked my hubby into buying me this three tiered sprouter and Steve Meyerowitz's book, Sprouts - the Miracle Food! I got a kick out of his style, learned how to sprout my own food and eventually had a little sprouting production that even I couldn't kill.

Pretty little alfalfa sprouts!

Feeling a desire to expand on the theme, I recently read Sproutman's Kitchen Garden Cookbook. Sprout Breads, Cookies, Soups, Salads & 250 Other Low-Fat, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian Recipes.
The book is filled with sprouting tips, nutritional information and recipes, and is sprinkled liberally with humour, hand-drawn cartoons and odes to favourite fruits and vegetables. I laughed and read them out loud to hubby - he rolled his eyes and groaned. Clearly art is interpretive.

I love the range of this book, from sprout recipes to sprouted bread baking to fermented foods and drinks, and even nut cheeses. The book also includes a few dehydrator recipes and I couldn't resist sharing this one with you...

Hotcha Zucchini Chips
Sproutman's Kitchen Garden Cookbook
Steve Meyerowitz

4-5 zucchinis, medium sized

3 tbsp Tamari sauce
1/2 tbsp dehydrated garlic granules
2 tbsp dehydrated onion powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Drying time: 5-10 hours.
Temperature: 115-125F)

Mix up the marinade ingredients.
Slice up your clean, fresh zucchini into 1/8 inch circular slivers.
Marinate in sauce for up to 45 minutes.
Place on dehydrator trays and make into chips with temp and time above.
These are so delicious and such a great idea. Zucchini chips! Who'da thunk it? Now I want to try this technique with carrots..

Have a great weekend!